Sunday 12 September 2010

Why I became a ENTREPRENEUR

It was back in 1998. I was already counting 8 successful years of a fully-loaded career in business development, marketing, negotiations, selling, team leading. All in large international corporations: Philips, Cable & Wireless, Vodafone.

But something was missing. My heart was seeking something different. Up till then, I was working for someone else. Whatever success I had, was ultimately a step in someone else's path. Ultimately, I was moving forward because my company was moving forward. My contribution was important, but I did not get to chart the course.

If you isolate the noise from the environment, the if's and but's, the what if's, the average man's logic, you are then able to listen to your heart. You can even ask your heart: "what is it that you REALLY desire in life". If, supposedly, you were on your deathbed and had a flashback, what should you have accomplished in order to positively answer your heart's question: "did you make good use of your life?"

My drive had always been to chart my own path. To take my own risks. To discover what's hidden on the other side of the hill. To put my skills and capabilities on the line. To push forward. To dare. To build something that would stand the test of time. To live an exciting obsession. That was really worth living for. And, probably, worth dying for.

It was then that I took the final decision to let go of my corporate safely net, "build my own boat" and set off into the ocean. That dream was so compelling, that I couldn't back down. I had to do it.

I spent 12 months researching, studying the market, putting the team together, securing the finance, concluding the initial business and marketing agreements, building the systems and processes.

And one day, I set the boat afloat and, simply, took off...

There were truimphs and disasters, during that journey. There were bright days and dark nights.

But if you ask me "Dimitri, was it worth it?" my answer is a huge YES.

So, go make it happen

Dimitri Thanassas

No comments:

Post a Comment